A recipe to share
This fab recipe was given to me over the phone by one of our customers and it’s the best beetroot thing ever, please pass it on to others (even if they think they don’t like beetroot, they’ll probably love this.) It’s hard to believe something so easy to make and delicious can be this healthy.
It takes less than five minutes to make. Different food processors give different results. Process a little less and you get a coarser pâté with great texture. Enjoy on oatcakes, toast, rice cakes, Flax Farm Flax Crackers
It’s lovely as a vegetable side dish in a salad, particularly good with smoked mackerel or other fish.
The main ingredients, beetroot, walnuts and flaxseed (linseed) oil are a match made in heaven. Whether you think of it as a pâté, dip or spread, it is smooth, light and unctuously delicious.
Cold-pressed unrefined linseed flax seed oil
Full of super-healthy things
It’s so yummy that I would make it every week even if it wasn’t brim full of the top scorers for real health benefits.
Apart from being full of healthy ingredients, you don’t need to add salt – we all prefer it without – and of course there’s no added sugar. The natural fibre in beetroot and walnuts is good for slow-release energy and keeping blood sugar levels healthy.
This recipe combines five of Nature’s greatest superfoods.
Beetroot; rich in the purple-crimson plant pigment , betacyanin associated with health protecting properties and popular athletes to support endurance and performance
Walnuts: rich in healthy natural fatty acids, antioxidants, dietary fibre and vitamin E,
Flaxseed Oil: number one for omega-3, the fat most of us need more of for better health
Lemon: good for vitamin C and alkalising
Garlic: contains allicin which has medicinal properties and linked to all over good health
Suitable for OMS recovery plan and the Budwig Diet. At less than 8g of carbohydrate per 90g potion it is also a healthy addition to a diabetic, low carb or ketogenic diet.
Beetroot Spread with Walnuts and Flaxseed Oil
- Mixer, food-processor or blender
- 250 g Medium beetroot, cooked and roughly diced drain liquid
- 50 g Good handful walnuts
- 2-4 Tbs Flax Farm Cold-Pressed Flaxseed (Linseed) Oil
- 1 clove garlic
- Juice of half a lemon or less, to taste
- 1/2 tsp A pinch ground cumin - more or less depending on taste Optional
- Salt and pepper optional
- Handful herbs, chives, parsley, even a little horseradish, not necessary but looks pretty, and is nice with salmon or smoked mackerel.
- Place beetroot, walnuts, garlic, cumin and 2-3 TBS flaxseed oil in a food processor. Whizz until smooth. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Add an extra tablespoon of Flaxseed Oil if necessary.
- Spoon into a bowl, top with a few chopped walnuts and a drizzle of extra Flaxseed Oil. Serve and enjoy with bread, toast, crackers or crudités.