I was recently listening to Jerome K Herome’s ‘Three Men on the Bummel’ audio book, when they got to the Black Forest with all of its berries and fruits I just wanted Black Forest Gateau. I have always adored it but have always found it too complicated to make. Nowadays everything has to be gluten-free for me, but that’s OK, I love linseed as an alternative and it’s healthier. This dessert can be made at the drop of a hat and it comes out like the best chocolate Black Forest Gateau you could ask for.
This version is a super healthy pudding and absolutely scrummy. It is also gluten-free and contains no saturated fats so suitable for the Budwig Diet.
We also have a completely vegan alternative.
Black Forest Dessert (no bake)
- 250 g Black Cherries Drained content of one can (reserve 2 Tbs juice), fresh or frozen
- 75 g Mixed Berries
- 2 Tbs Juice from cherries (or other juice)
- 75 g Flax Farm Ground Gold Linseed
- 3-4 tsp Cocoa powder More if you like it very chocolatey
- 250 g Quark, strained Greek yoghurt or Skyr
- 75 g Flax Farm Cold-Pressed Linseed (Flaxseed) Oil
- 4 Tbs Sugar equivalent sweetener or to taste I use 25 drops stevia liquid extract
- 1-2 Tbs Kirsch
- A few drops Vanilla Extract
- Place mixed berries, 2/3 of the cherries, ground linseed, linseed, Kirsh and cocoa powder into a mixer. Combine quickly but not too much, the pieces of fruit should be just broken and visible not mashed. The texture should be like moist cake and still holding its shape. You will probably need to add a little more liquid, I use a couple of tablespoons of the juice from canned cherries. If you’re using frozen cherries of fresh cherries, you will probably want to use a fruit juice or milk.
- In another bowl, put the quark (yoghurt or skyr) linseed oil and a few drops of vanilla essence, with a few drops of sweetener to taste. Using either a fork, whisk or a stick blender, blend these ingredients until the oil is completely blended absorbed and the consistency of whipped double cream. If it’s a bit too stiff for the mixer add a little milk.
- To assemble: start with a layer of the fruity chocolate mix at the bottom of a suitable glass or glass dessert bowl. Then add a layer of the creamed quark and linseed oil followed by another layer of the fruity chocolate mix. Now top with the remaining whole cherries and more cream, sprinkle with a little cocoa powder or if you are feeling posh grated chocolate or chocolate curls. Stir the remaining 1/3 of your cherries in with the chocolate/cherry/linseed mix, then use that to top the quark/vanilla/cream layer.