Like real bread but gluten-free and wheat-free
These muffins are more like bread, really tasty and work well for toasting or sandwiches. Much better than wheat-free breads you buy in shops and without any of those strange ingredients.
This is a gluten-free, wheat-free and dairy-free (if you use an alternative milk) high protein, high fibre, high omega-3, low GI muffin or bread that can be toasted. Saturated fat-free too and we also have a recipe for wholly vegan version.
Thanks for this recipe was given to one of our regular customers at our stall Borough Market. Tastes in the UK and American differ; she advised us to make it slightly differently to the original: “In fact I omit the stevia & cinnamon & vanilla which is just as tasty. Its best toasted and slathered with butter or cream cheese…”
Personally I use linseed-coconut butter, Oleolux or just a little drizzle of Flax Farm cold-pressed linseed oil for making (the two things I miss most being wheat-free) a tomato sandwich or Marmite and lettuce sandwich.
2 Minute Flax Bread (Simple)
- 40 g Ground linseed or 1/4 cup
- 1 Large egg or small egg with a little water or egg-white and extra water instead of the yolk. Or for a vegan version use 12g chickpea flour and 50ml water.
- 2 tablespoons milk or water water or alternative milk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch Salt optional
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon Honey, raw sugar or equivalent sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- a few drops vanilla extract
- 1/2 - 1 tablespoon Whole, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and/or linseeds
- a small handful berries
- Place all the ingredients in a smallish mixing bowl, mix thoroughly and quickly.
- Then transfer to any suitable container. The original recipe used a mug. I have also used a small Pyrex bowl and dessert dishes in the microwave. If using a regular oven use a non-stick or silicon muffin mould.
- Put in microwave on full power for 2 minutes. If you don't like using a microwave place in a hot fan oven, about 180-200 centigrade for about 10 minutes until well risen and firm to touch.
- Eat as it is or slice for sandwiches or toast.