Vegan, light, quick & healthier
I know there are lots of vegan creams around but most are based on coconut and I avoid saturated fats. I could make a cream from cashew nuts but this is so much easier and being rich in omega-3 is much healthier.
Gluten-free & Healthier by Far
Using ground linseed instead of sponge means no gluten, so this is an easy gluten-free dessert, Also no saturated fats but Cold-pressed Linseed oil means the dessert is creamy and rich in omega-3 . Ground linseed gives you a good helping of tummy-friendly fibre. The fibre also slows down the absorption of sugars from the fruit and makes the dessert even healthier. I never use ordinary sugar, usually, stevia extract instead mean this is a sugar-free pud if possible. This is so healthy it can even be used for people following the Budwig Diet.
No need for sponge or flour
Since lockdown it has been very hard to find flour which means there’s a shortage of sponge but Flax Farm Ground Golden Linseed Flaxseed works brilliantly instead.
Easy Lockdown Trifle; Vegan, Gluten-free, No-added Sugar
- 1 Medium Banana
- 1 apple core removed
- 1-3 Tablespoons Flax Farm Cold-Pressed Linseed (Flaxseed) Oil
- Generous Squeeze Lemon Juice
- vanilla extract optional
- Stevia or other sweetener
- 2-4 Tablespoons Flax Farm Gold Ground Linseed
- Fresh or frozen berries or other fruit
- pumpkin seeds chopped nuts toasted flaked almond.
- Make the cream. Place in a blender linseed oil, banana, apple, (you can peel the apple if you like but I prefer to keep it) vanilla, sweetener. Whiz until smooth.
- Sprinkle ground linseed in the bottom of a suitable glass dish or dishes
- Cover with a layer of berries or other fruit. Then top with a layer of the "cream".
- Repeat: a layer of ground linseed, berries (or fruit) and cream.
- Top with chopped nuts or pumpkin seeds and some decorative berries.