Winter Fruit Cake or Christmas Cake
If you’ve got a jar of mincemeat left from making mince pies this is a great way of using it up -for me this is now my standard Christmas Cake, just right after that chilly Boxing Day walk. I was really impressed with this, the mincemeat gives it a lovely Christmassy flavour but makes a great fruit cake whenever you need one. If you want to to look more festive, make it in a seven inch tin and top with fruit and nuts glazed with apricot jam and brandy.
Thank You Delia
Credit for the idea for this cake really should go to Delia and her recipe for Mincemeat Christmas Cake. I am sure hers is a far more proper Christmas Cake, I loved the idea and I had a jar of mincemeat but I needed something wheat-free, fewer ingredients and quicker to make! This turned out beautifully.
No Added Sugar
I also didn’t add any extra sugar and found I enjoyed it all the more for it being a bit less sweet.
Quick, Wheat-free and Gluten-free
This is made with Flax Farm Linseed Porridge and if you need absolutely gluten-free either the Flax Farm Gluten-free Linseed Porridge or Special Gluten-Free Linseed & Buckwheat Porridge with quinoa
My quick un-decorated version of this cake certainly isn’t posh, it’s quite a rustic cake but for the time and effort it’s unbeatable. Quick and needs no baking skills and of course brilliant for being gluten-free and wheat-free, And lower in sugar and higher in fibre than most cakes.
Quick Mincemeat Linseed Porridge Fruitcake (gluten-free)
- 225 g Flax Farm Linseed Porridge or Gluten Free linseed Porridge or Special Gluten-Free Linseed & Buckwheat Porridge with quinoa
- 400 g Jar of Mincemeat I used the basic one from Waitrose
- 100 g Butter
- 1 Tbs Organic Molasses `
- 2 Large Eggs
- 100 g Brown Sugar Optional, I prefer it without
- Preheat oven to 150C fan oven or 160C standard oven. Grease and line a 7-8 inch cake tin with baking parchment. If you use a larger tin the cake will be flatter and will cook quicker - tastes great either way!
- Gently melt the butter, add the molasses, remove from heat, then add the mincemeat and eggs. Mix well.
- Add Linseed Porridge and stir well. Tip into cake tin and cook for 50-60 minutes or until slightly brown and firm to touch.